Saturday, March 17, 2012

Building the frame - Part 2

Saturday 17 March

Made use of the jig again to cut the top plate - will use it again for the middle ring as well. I think I will also try to arrange the partial rings in one or more circles for cutting so I can do them all at one using the jig again.
I copied the detail from the full size Senna frame templates printout again using carbon paper.
Top and Bottom plates
Have also cut out all of the uprights today. The two main supports are completed but the rest of the uprights need to have their slots cut out - Will do this tomorrow as today is a beautiful day and I need to enjoy some it it with my family.
Very exciting moment - enough uprights to support the dome (have actually cut them all out but took this photo after the first few were done as I couldn't wait to see R2 take shape. 

Sunday 18 March

Had a false start today. I started using the circle slot jig to cut the slots in the uprights was was not aboe to hold them in place firmly while routing the slots. The spin of the router moved the ply to one side and resulted in diagonal slots. This cost me one of my uprights so I had to cut a new one. Also made up a jig specifically for this task out of some scraps - including the wasted upright.
Jig for cutting slots in uprights. The piece being cut is the longer horizontal piece in the foreground. The smaller horizontal piece is a stopper for the router. The vertical piece (the wasted upright) is the guide for the router.
Have now finished cutting the frame and everything lines up but I need to sand or file out some of the slots for a perfect fit. All in all - a good productive weekend..
All pieces cut and in place (not yet fixed in place)




No comments:

Post a Comment